COVID-19 in India: Live Updates
This page tracks cases of coronavirus in India, based on the data released daily by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare at 08:30 IST for the previous 24 hours.
June 16, 2021 – India reported 62,224 new COVID-19 cases and 2,542 deaths in the last 24 hours. Total cases are at: 29,633,105; total recoveries: 28,388,100; total fatalities: 379,573. The active caseload is at 865,432.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 261,972,014.
June 15, 2021 – India reported 60,471 new cases, lowest after 75 days. The total COVID-19 case tally is now at 29,570,881. Total fatalities reached 377,031 after 2,726 deaths in the last 24 hours. Total recoveries stand at 28,280,472. Total active cases are at 913,378.
- States and union territories across India have extended lockdowns and restrictions to June 21, such as Haryana, Karnataka, and Puducherry. Some regions are implementing an unlock in phases like Delhi, Himachal Pradesh. West Bengal has extended its lockdown till July 1. These restrictions are subject to change and region-based implementation based on the developing situation and severity of outbreaks across the respective states.
- India to benefit from another vaccine candidate, Novavax, with over 90% efficacy rate, which has reached an agreement with Serum Institute of India for local manufacturing.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 259,044,072.
June 14, 2021 – India reported 70,421 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, the lowest since April 1, and 3,921 deaths. The total COVID-19 case load stands at 29,510,410, including 973,158 active cases, 28,162,947 recoveries, and total fatalities at 374,305.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 254,849,301.
- GST rates on COVID-19-related items slashed until September 30: GST rate lowered on COVID-related items, including medicines, oxygen concentrators, testing kits and hand sanitizers to five percent until September 30.
- GST rate on vaccines remains at five percent.
June 11, 2021 – India reported new 91,702 cases, raising the total case tally to 29,274,823, and 3,403 deaths in the last 24 hours. Active cases in the country are at 1,121,671. The death toll stands at 363,079.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 246,085,649.
June 10, 2021 – India recorded 92,596 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours. After updating data on fatalities linked to COVID, Indian states recorded 6,148 deaths in the last 24 hours, with the death toll reaching 359,676. (As per reporting by the Indian Express, “the jump in deaths come after Bihar revised its toll on Wednesday, adding 3,951 previously uncounted deaths to its tally.”)
Meanwhile, 27,655,493 people have recovered from the virus. There are currently 1,167,952 active cases in the country.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 242,726,693.
- GST Council to meet on June 12 to discuss tax cut on COVID essentials, black fungus medicine
June 9, 2021 – India recorded 92,596 new COVID-19 cases and 2,219 deaths in 24 hours. India’s recovery rate is now at 94.55%. The country’s total case tally is at 29,089,069. The death toll is at 353,528. Active cases in India are at 1,231,415 and 27,504,126 recoveries have been reported.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 239,058,360.
June 8, 2021 – The government has released revised guidelines for the national COVID-19 vaccination program to be implemented from June 21. “Vaccine doses to be allocated to States/UTs based on population, disease burden & vaccination’ progress”
- India reported 86,498 new cases, 182,282 discharged cases, and 2,123 deaths in the last 24 hours.
- The country’s total COVID-19 case tally has reached 28,996,473 cases, including 1,303,702 active cases, 27,341,462 recoveries, and 351,309 fatalities.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 236,198,726.
June 7, 2021 – In his speech today, PM Modi announced that the Union Government will procure 75 percent of the vaccines produced in the country and provide them to the states free of cost for all above 18 years starting June 21.
- 25 percent of all vaccines will continue to be administered through private hospitals
- Delhi recorded 231 new cases, lowest since March 2, and 36 deaths in a day; the positivity rate dipped to 0.36 percent.
- India reported 100,636 new COVID-19 cases, 2,427 deaths in the last 24 hours. Active cases in the country are at 1,401,609.
June 4, 2021 – India reported 132,364 fresh COVID-19 cases and 2,713 fatalities, pushing the country’s tally to 28,574,350. The death toll has reached 340,702. Active cases are at 1,635,993. Total recoveries are at 26,597,655.
- Telangana’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 32,579; recoveries: 549,579; fatalities: 3,331. The total COVID caseload has reached 585,489.
- Andhra Pradesh’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 138,912; recoveries: 1,578,452; fatalities: 11,213. The total COVID caseload has reached 1,728,577.
- Tamil Nadu’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 280,426; recoveries: 1,866,660; fatalities: 25,665. The total COVID caseload has reached 2,172,751.
- Gujarat’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 24,404; recoveries: 778,976; fatalities: 9,890. The total COVID caseload has reached 813,270.
- Haryana’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 12,688; recoveries: 738,799; fatalities: 8,532. The total COVID caseload has reached 760,019.
- Karnataka’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 286,819; recoveries: 2,336,096; fatalities: 30,531. The total COVID caseload has reached 2,653,446.
- Maharashtra’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 207,813; recoveries: 5,486,206; fatalities: 97,394. The total COVID caseload has reached 5,791,413.
- Delhi’s COVID-19 status – active cases: 8,748; recoveries: 1,394,731; fatalities: 24,447. The total COVID caseload has reached 1,427,926.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 224,109,448.
June 3, 2021 – India reported 134,154 new COVID-19 cases and 2,887 deaths in the last 24 hours.
- Total caseload is now 28,441,986. Active cases: 1,713,413; discharged cases: 26,390,584; death toll: 337,989.
- Norms for clearing foreign-made COVID-19 vaccines eased by DCGI
- Total vaccine doses administered: 221,043,693.
June 2, 2021 – India recorded 132,788 new cases of COVID-19 and 3,207 deaths in the last 24 hours. The national caseload is now at 28,307,832. Active cases: 1,793,645; discharged cases: 26,179,085; death toll: 335,102.
- CBIC notifies IGST waiver for COVID vaccines, remdesivir injections and its raw materials, and other associated medical supplies till end of August 2021. Imports of drug Amphotericin B, which is used for the treatment of mucormycosis (black fungus) is also exempted from IGST till end-August 2021.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 218,546,667.
June 1, 2021 – India reported 127,510 cases over the past 24 hours, the lowest daily rise since April 8 this year; fatalities increased by 2,795. Total caseload reaches 28,175,044, including 1,895,520 active cases, 25,947,629 discharged cases, and 331,895 deaths.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 216,046,638.
May 31, 2021 – India reported 152,734 fresh cases in 24 hours, bringing the total COVID-19 case tally to 28,047,534. The death toll is now at 329,100 with 3,128 new fatalities recorded. Active caseload is at 2,026,092; total discharged cases 25,692,342.
- Delhi extends curfew till June 7; allows construction and manufacturing industries to operate in designated industrial areas. This has been done to slow the virus transmission.
- Total vaccine doses administered: 213,154,129.
Managing your India business during COVID-19
We are also tracking the pandemic in other major regions as well as provide business advisory for China and ASEAN.
China coronavirus updates
Indian businesses with operations in China should follow our China coronavirus advisory here.
Asia coronavirus updates
Indian businesses with operations in ASEAN countries should follow our Asia coronavirus advisory here.
India Briefing is produced by Dezan Shira & Associates. The firm assists foreign investors throughout Asia from offices across the world, including in Delhi and Mumbai. Readers may write to email@example.com for more support on doing business in in India.
We also maintain offices or have alliance partners assisting foreign investors in Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Italy, Germany, and the United States, in addition to practices in Bangladesh and Russia.