New York City, NY – Marcum LLP today announced that Gary Sturisky, CPA, has been appointed to lead the Firm’s National Advisory Practice. In addition, eight new partners have been admitted to the Firm.
National Advisory Practice
The National Advisory Practice encompasses strategic consulting services across all Marcum service lines and industry groups. As practice leader, Mr. Sturisky is responsible for the integration of all non-compliance consulting services Firm-wide, leveraging more than a dozen industry specialties to ensure the optimal combination of talent, technical expertise, and innovative analysis in the resolution of client issues. He heads a senior leadership team representing valuation, forensic and litigation services; tax advisory services; financial advisory services; transaction and integration advisory services; managed services; and technology consulting.
A recognized specialist in business transformation, Mr. Sturisky draws on 25 years of global experience in operational performance, including risk management, quality and training. Prior to his Marcum appointment, Mr. Sturisky was a senior partner and the global private equity advisory leader at a Big Four accounting firm. Previously, he was consulting managing partner for a top national CPA firm, where he launched the firm’s first offshore delivery center, serving as its chairman.
“The foundation of Marcum’s business is our role as trusted advisors to our clients. Our National Advisory Practice will be even more crucial to the Firm’s future, as clients rely on us to help them navigate their increasingly complex business and individual challenges. With Gary Sturisky’s leadership and the collaboration of our senior service line and industry group leaders, the National Advisory Practice will be a key driver of Marcum’s continued growth and success and a standard-bearer for the accounting industry,” said Jeffrey M. Weiner, Marcum’s chairman & chief executive officer.
Jimmy S. Pappas, CPA*, CFE, CFF, ABV, has joined Marcum as national leader of Forensic Advisory Services. Based in the Boston office, Mr. Pappas has more than 20 years of experience advising legal counsel, management, and boards of directors on accounting, internal control, and complex financial matters related to internal investigations, civil and criminal litigation, and corporate governance. He has served a variety of clients including Fortune Global 500 companies. He is also frequently appointed as a testifying expert in accounting, fraud and corruption, and economic damages matters. He has testified on behalf of regulatory agencies such as the US Securities and Exchange Commission, and has advised plaintiffs and defendants in civil and criminal litigation.
Additionally, the following new partners have been admitted in six Marcum regions:
- Mary Antonetti, CPA (New Haven), Tax & Business Services – Ms. Antonetti specializes in tax compliance and consulting services to not-for-profit and healthcare organizations. She has more than 30 years of public accounting experience serving national and international entities.
- Sara Carlson, CPA (Chicago) – Ms. Carlson is a partner in the Firm’s Technical Review and Quality Control Group. She provides guidance to Firm professionals and clients on complex technical accounting and reporting issues and has in-depth technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP, IFRS, SEC reporting, and related professional practice standards and regulations.
- Benjamin Dailey, CPA (Portland, ME), Tax & Business Services - Mr. Dailey specializes in providing federal and state taxation and consulting services to individuals and closely held entities. He primarily services automotive clients, from single-point dealerships to large and complex dealer groups with multi-state operations. He has worked closely with dealer principals on business succession, real estate transactions and facilities improvements, and franchise purchases and sales.
- Stanley W. Farmer, CPA (Houston), Assurance Services – Mr. Farmer specializes in services to the oil & gas industry, providing technical accounting for exploration and production, offshore drilling, oilfield waste management, water resource management, energy technology, and construction. He has nearly 30 years of experience in public and provide company audits and is well-versed in SEC reporting.
- Qiqi Wei, CPA (San Francisco), Assurance Services – Ms. Wei is a member of the Firm’s Technical Review and Quality Control group, specializing in audit and assurance services to Chinese companies listed on the U.S. stock markets. She has 15 years of experience in accounting, auditing, internal controls, and regulatory oversight, with in-depth knowledge of GAAP, SEC reporting, and PCAOB auditing and related professional practice standards. Her expertise includes managing risks associated with operating in highly regulated industries.
- Taylor West, CVA (Houston), Advisory Services - Mr. West specializes in the valuation of corporate debt, equity and derivative securities, partnership interests, and intangible assets of privately held and publicly traded businesses. His valuation services include mergers and acquisitions, financial reporting, tax reporting, litigation, bankruptcy, portfolio valuation, and corporate planning. He serves domestic and global clients in numerous industries and has advised corporate valuation clients on more than $50 billion of M&A transactions in the past decade.
- Qasim Zaidi, CPA (Philadelphia), Assurance Services – Mr. Zaidi has more than 20 years of experience with both public and non-public entities, providing revenue recognition, leasing, carve-out audits, purchase accounting, and transactions services. He has coordinated complex global public and private company audits and also has experience in IFRS, U.S. GAAP, and SEC reporting, as well as quality reviews related to stock-based compensation, convertible debt, warrants, foreign currency translation, and others.“Each of these outstanding accounting professionals brings particular experience and honed expertise to Marcum’s service offerings that will be instrumental in our Firm’s future growth. The entire partnership welcomes them to the team,” Mr. Weiner said.
For more information, visit www.marcumllp.com.
Marcum LLP is one of the largest independent public accounting and advisory services firms in the nation, with offices in major business markets throughout the U.S., as well as select international locations. Headquartered in New York City, Marcum provides a full spectrum of traditional tax, accounting, and assurance services; advisory, valuation, and litigation support; managed accounting services; and an extensive portfolio of specialty and niche industry practices. The Firm serves both privately held and publicly registered companies, as well as nonprofit and social sector entities, high net worth individuals, private equity funds, and hedge funds, with a focus on middle-market companies and closely held family businesses. Marcum is a member of the Marcum Group, an organization providing a comprehensive array of professional services. For more information, visit www.marcumllp.com.